Friday, April 23, 2010

A Theory of Relativity

To begin, a quote from Mark Twain regarding the work of one Jane Austen:

"I haven't any right to criticize books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice,' I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone." (found at: http://www.examiner.com/x-562-Book-Examiner~y2010m4d16-The-50-best-author-vs-author-putdowns-of-all-time-Part-2)

...say WHAT now?? Many people consider Jane Austen's novels to be some of the finest written in the English language. So why the hate, Mark Twain? HUH??

This may sound like a stupid or obvious thing to say, but people's opinions are all relative. Someone may like you, another person may hate you, and it may not be for anything that you have done but simply because these two people have different tastes! Check out the links above and below for more famous authors dissing one another, it's pretty funny. This also reminds me of a famous factoid, that Michael Jordan didn't even make his high school basketball team the first time he tried out. All of this provides me some comfort, that try as I might I will never please everyone with the work that I do, so as long as I put my best effort in and do a job that I am pleased with, I can be content in life.

More author disses: http://www.examiner.com/x-562-Book-Examiner~y2010m4d16-The-50-best-author-vs-author-putdowns-of-all-time

1 comment:

  1. So true! No matter how hard we try, we will never get everyone to love us. It's impossible to have a universally acceptable belief or an opinion...so it's best just to be ourselves and take in the people that love us and get rid of the ones that don't =)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete