Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My "Medieval" Book

I have been working hard lately on my final project for my History of the Book class. I decided to attempt to replicate a medieval book structure. I can't decide how I feel about it yet. First, it was much harder than I expected it to be. Second, I'm having trouble finding the materials I need, particularly some appropriately sized wooden boards for the covers. Third, I think I screwed up the kettle stitches at the top and bottom of the spine. So I may actually be speaking to my professor today and changing my project...we'll see. I can't decide! But here are some pictures of my work in progress. Book-minded friends, let me know what you think, because I don't know if it's of good enough quality to hand in!

My makeshift sewing frame/sewing process:




The semi-finished textblock:

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks really good so far! I've never made a book like that, but it looks like you've done a pretty good job! Where did you find the instructions on how to do it, it looks really neat! Also, how will it look when finished? You said you're looking for boards, are you going to cover it in leather? Maybe you should email Andrew Hout and see if he has any good tips for you. I don't think he lives far from Champaign so he might know some good supply stores.

    As for handing it in, I think even if you're unhappy with it it would be worth handing in! After all, it was a good learning experience, and you can talk about how much more complicated book structures were back then and how much bookbinders had to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so neat!! you're doing such a good job! :)

    ReplyDelete